As I was reading a few blog posts and comments, I noticed that many of my Twitter friends loved reading fiction but a common response was "I need to read more non-fiction". I remember 2-1/2 years ago when I discovered some wonderful non-fiction picture books. It was both exciting and fun. This gave me an idea. Why not a Non-fiction Picture Book Reading Challenge? I put it out there to see who might like to help with the challenge and Cathy & Louise from The Nonfiction Detectives Blog agreed to help host this challenge. Sarah (@pageintraining) is hosting the Passport Nonfiction over on her blog and will be helping to promote this challenge along with Sylvie (@sylvie_shaffer).
And if you want more of a challenge, Shannon (@mshoughton) is hosting the Sibert Challenge with the hashtag #nerdibert on her blog. Check it out here.
We are still working out some of the details but here are the basics of the challenge:
1. Set a goal as to how many non-fiction picture books you would like to read over the course of 2012. Maybe you want to read one a month or one a week. Will they all be from 2012 or will you be reading ones previously published? Set a goal that will be fun and not stressful.
2. The Nonfiction Detectives and Kid Lit Frenzy (that's me) will host a day each week for sharing or linking back reviews from the books that you have been reading for the challenge.
3. At the end of each month, we hope to do some kind of special non-fiction picture book related giveaway. Keep an eye out for details.
4. If you would like to participate in this challenge, please link up your blog or GoodReads Shelf using the Widget below.
5. If you tweet about what you are reading as part of this challenge, please use the twitter hashtag #nfpb2012.
6. Finally, feel free to grab the Challenge image used in this blog. I am working to get the html for bloggers to grab the badge for their websites.
Good luck everyone and happy reading in 2012.