On Thursday, I leave for Denver for the ALA Midwinter Meetings. I am looking forward to book discussions with the other members of the Schnieder Family Book Award Committee. I am also looking forward to listening in on the Children's Notable discussions and finding out about new releases. And well the biggest highlight is always the Youth Media Awards (YMAs)
The 2018 Youth Media Award announcements will take place on Monday, Feb. 12, at 8 a.m. MT from the Colorado Convention Center. Fans can follow 2018 results in real-time via live webcast at http://ala.unikron.com/2018 , or follow hashtag #alayma.
The Robert F. Sibert Informational Book Award goes to the most distinguished informational book published in the United States. Since I did a little more reading, I am going forward and making the following predictions...
Muddy: The Story of Blues Legend Muddy Waters by Michael James Mahin; Illustrated by Evan Turk (Atheneum Books for Young Readers)
Grand Canyon by Jason Chin (Roaring Brook Press)
Hidden Life of a Toad by Doug Wechsler (Charlesbridge)
Life in Surtsey: Iceland's Upstart Island by Loree Griffin Burns (HmH Books for Young Readers)
Isaac the Alchemist: Secrets of Isaac Newton Reveal'd by Mary Losure (Candlewick Press)
For fun, I am doing a Sibert Giveaway. Here are the rules:
1. You must complete a Mock Sibert post with your own predictions (or the predictions of your class) by Sunday, February 11, 2018 and add the link below and a comment in the comments section.
2. A Winner will be randomly selected on Tuesday, February 13th and announced on Wednesday, February 14th here on the blog.
3. You must be 13 years or older to enter (or have a parent enter on your behalf).
4. You must have a US or Canadian mailing address or if the book is available through Book Depository and they deliver to your country, please feel free to enter.
5. Winner will receive a copy of the 2018 Sibert Winner (or if you already own that book then one of the honor titles).
6. Special prize: If more than one of my predictions are correct, then the winner will receive a complete set of the 2017 Sibert titles (winner and all honor books selected this year).
7. Please do not add personal information like your email or mailing address in the comments.
Link up below to enter the #NFPB2018 Challenge and/or to share your Mock Sibert posts: